Sunday, 21 October 2012

Garden update, Gertrude and vegetables

I seem to have been getting behind with the garden, its updates here and life in general.   Today I went to see the music in the main street and then came home to cut wood, collect kindling and pick beans, but there is more happening here.  I came home to water the vegetables as well... with Gertrude watching and from her vantage point, she could also watch the neighbours...
 ...  she is standing (precariously) on the edge of a bathtub that has been used previously as a feed or water trough for a pony.

The pond is beginning to be healthy again.....


My second planting of beans is doing well.  The birds pecked the leaves from my first attempt.  (This year is very dry and difficult,  so I can't blame them) but I have planted the next lot under wire netting....
 ... and they are emerging, safely protected from the birds....


Other crops are doing well,  and at this time of th eyear,  the garden looks quite "suburban" and organised.  Here is the garlic and some of the potatoes....
 leeks and baby beets....
 Teh bird bath surrounded by various salvias and borage (which is everywhere)...


... the newly planted summer stuff....

zucchinis are ready to produce... there are tiny female flowers already....


the broad beans are still going.  I have been eating them, freezing them and I am now ready to leave enough for next year's seeds.

Seeds are also forming on the kale.  This is the "black kale"  (Tuscan kale or Cavolo nero) and is one of two kinds that I grow.   The other is Russian kale and that seems to be less invaded by green caterpillars  of the "cabbage moth" variety.  I didn't collect seed from that this year.  I have only an acre and if both kinds go to seed at the same time,  I can't manage seed production.   Next year I will collect Russian kale seed, and then decide whether to persevere with both varieties.  We'll see.


No comments: