Friday, 9 November 2012

Primavera... Spring...

I have had a busy couple of weeks,  but the garden has carried on regardless.  At this time of the year, known as the "hungry gap" food is not necessarily scarce,  but it may be unconventional and that is how some recipes have been invented,  I am sure.   I have mused about recipes that incorporate ingredients that happen to materialise at the same time,  but there is also that precarious time (especially prior to the invention of the freezer) early in the spring when surviving seeds and tubers might be better utisised by planting them and the produce of the previous season is running low.
I have the added luxury of the local IGA store in town,  but with my seriously limited income,  I try to live on what I can produce anyway.
This evening, with garden production minimal,  I had leeks, the first garlic harvest, zucchini, herbs and some pasta.... this is the first version of "pasta primavera" for this year...
 ... with a little grated cheese (Mil-lel from Mt Gambier) on top.

I have also been using eggs for many dishes as the chickens are back "on the lay" these days...   creme caramel is one of my favourites....
 ... haven't made these for ages,  but they are very good.

Ebony does not like the flash of the camera,  but sat still long enough for a picture... just about the first time ever...
... she is a lovely dog and, after a dodgy start at the dog pound,  is very healthy and shiny friend.

No comments: