Thursday, 22 November 2012

Summer approaching, blogging and still no rain.

I went to a community event today, in the CWA hall.   There were people there that I hadn't seen for quite a while and there were some new faces.  I always enjoy those gatherings.   We ate snack food, "Christmassy" because of the time of year,  and we drank tea, coffee or wine...  there was a raffle (there always is) and talk of friends, family and the coming holiday season.  It feels like the beginning of the end of the year.
While I was there, someone came up to me and asked whether I was the blogger at Kapundagarden...  it's interesting where blog readers pop up!  And it is interesting to hear their views on the posts.

Once home again, I finished (almost) collecting the coriander seeds....
 ... these are the descendents of a bag of coriander seeds that I bought  at a grocery shop several years ago.  I grind these for flavouring in meals that I prepare,  but always manage to keep enough to plant again the following year.  The fresh seeds have much more flavour than those original ones that I bought, and usually I miss enough of the crop to find that they self seed anyway.  The few that I deliberately plant are merely my decision about the location of the green winter coriander that I eat in large quantities.  As an aside, when I lived in the city and had to buy green leafy corainder,  i have had to buy more than one bunch at a time,  as one would always be eaten by the time I arrived at the checkout.  I have always paid for the remaining stalks (not having the nerve to shoplift in such a way) but it has always been hard to arrive home with as much as I'd have liked.   Growing it is so much easier.

By the time I had picked the second bowl of seeds,  the light was getting dim,  but I did see several Purple-crowned lorikeets in the trees.   They usually feed in the flowering gum trees that are all around, but these three (and a couple of others) were eating something in the top of a pepper tree....
 ...  I was surprised.  It is not a native tree and there are no flowers now,  just the pink berries and the thinning leaves.  Pepper trees drop their leaves in the hot dry weather, and as the weather gets hotter after a particularly dry year,  the trees are very stressed.  
In a "normal year" (January to December) we receive about 480 mm of rain (about 19 inches.)  This year has been very very dry.  We have had 341 mm (less than 13.5 inches) so far this year.
Farmers are reaping crops and making hay by now and so don't want any rain at this time of the year.  It would be unusual.  And so it appears that this will be an incredibly dry and difficult season for the garden.

The cactus flowers are beautiful, however....
....  currently red and white specimens are flowering...with a couple of other varieties yet to perform.



   




No comments: