Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Seed saving: kale

Some time ago,  I showed the kale that was growing outside my kitchen window...
 ...  I like kale and use it a lot,  so I allowed the best plants to go to seed.  By now,  they are dry and ready to sort...

The little seeds are in dried pods.....
 and these are easy to break open and release the seeds....


I put the whole branch on a white sheet on the floor (before sweeping the floor) and I broke open the pods.... a few ended up on the floor, though I saved most of them.

Then I made this all into a pile in the middle of the sheet...
... and when I move the pile of "straw" in the middle away, there is quite a pile of little round seeds...
 ... and they are easily sorted, not perfectly,  but well enough to store and use.

There are probably a few hundred seeds here.... plenty for my purposes.

I will be planting some of these soon after the solstice, along with the other brassicas that will feed me next through next winter.




No comments: