Friday, 29 March 2013

Autumn crocuses

This has definitely been the longest gap between posts that I've had... I have been dealing with some particularly nasty issues and, while I am quite happy with the progress, it seems such a waste of time, somehow living in the past.  It must be done,  and so it is.

The garden, unlike the blog, has not suffered.  I have been watering (for we have had almost no rain at all) and mulching, planting and transplanting and harvesting what I need.  The real confirmation of autumn came this week with the appearance of the autumn crocuses...

Vegetable production has only increased in recent weeks too and cooking, eating, freezing or bottling various produce has been ongoing....


... the corn is often eaten out in the garden... so sweet....

... plenty of food...


...  and the potatoes are plentiful.  These are the easiest carbohydrate to grow and there are so many ways to use them!  Potatoes seem to be included in many different styles of food...  so useful.

The autumn bulbs are coming up all over the place....
...  blood lilies....
the honeyeaters love these.  The little patch where I transferred 4 bulbs a couple of years ago is looking good too...

Belladonna lillies...
The "garden" in the back verandah is growing well also....
.... cardamom, chilis, sweet potatoes, ginger and a few other odds and ends, all growing well.  I will soon have a banana plant to add to this little gathering....  it is ready to transplant now.

The other development of note is my labyrinth.  I have had in mind to make a walking place like this before, and I finally have the spot for it.  I had some help (from a bobcat) to level out the area, I had already gathered rocks and bricks and whatever I could find to make the track,  and it has begun.  
There is still a long way to go,  but I am pleased so far.

Today has been a day of more planting (garlic, brassica seedlings and onions) and preparing some new patches in case it should ever rain.  I won't increase the area under cultivation (rather than just covered and protected from the sun) until it actually rains.











No comments: