Monday, 4 March 2013

False friends and loyal plants

I have been out in the garden,  picking vegetables and digging potatoes.  I am a bit behind with planting,  but I will catch up in the next few weeks.  I've been rather distracted by more than one insincere friend attempting to make my life more difficult.

An insincere and evil friend is more to be feared than a wild beast; a wild beast may wound your body, but an evil friend will wound your mind.   Buddha

And so it goes....  the garden turns out not to produce merely food for my tummy,  but food for thought.... for the garden and its inhabitants always live in the present moment and I am learning to do the same.  

This morning I picked an overlooked zucchini which makes these other vegetables look small....
 .... corn....  actually there were three cobs this morning,  but I must have only photographed these two (perhaps I had eaten the other already)... it was a busy morning.
 ... and I dug two potato plants that had died right back, contributing all of their energy into the tubers....
... these potatoes are "Toolangi Delight" and grew from a few that I'd missed last season.  They weigh nearly 3 Kg...   and there are a lot more to come.

I have planted a few brassicas ready for the winter (cabbages, broccoli and cauliflowers... and a few kale seeds)  but there is more to do... jsut in case it should rain.



No comments: