Tuesday, 30 April 2013

Rain and planting...

It is the last day of April and we have had jsut over an inch (29 mm, to be exact) of rain for the month.  While the soil is still very dry and "follow on" rain is desperately needed,  I have planted more of the garden in the last week or two.
The plants that I have been watering and sheltering are mostly doing ok....  an assortment of brassicas...

Notice the "re-inforcing mesh" in the background,  and some here too,  near the garlic...
... and there is more.

I have planted out some rescued chinese brassicas as well...  and I have had to protect the plants from my dog.  She loves to dig them up to get the goat poo that is underneath.  This wire mesh (that has also been used as a trellis to grow peas and cucumbers) deters any digging,  though you can see where she has taken out tow plants on this side.... she won't walk across the mesh!
 Most of the plants survive, and once they are big enough,  she seems to leave them alone.
 Here are some other pieces of mesh that I use, depending upon what I am planting.  Some of these stop birds digging tiny seedlings out of the ground.

 The last plants to be covered with the blue mesh are here.....
... no longer needing to be covered and doing quite well.

Since this rain, over the last couple of weeks,  this garden that had been covered with straw (protected from the sun all summer) has shown some life....  potatoes (from ones that I missed last season) some coriander (self sown from the coriander "straw" at the other end of the bed, and some garlic... again from a few that I missed when I was digging it up before Christmas.

... and now it is time for coffee....
Life's good.


1 comment:

gardendog said...

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about your work in the garden Jane, it almost makes me wish I was out in my own garden. Almost...