Friday, 31 May 2013

Rain

It is the very end of the month, and so today's rain will show up on the June rainfall total,  but even by 9 am this morning we had had 4.5 mm in the last 24 hours and this makes a total of 49 mm for the month of May, not bad for this time of the year!
It is amazing to see how the plants respond to rain.

I have been out to collect some food for dinner (between showers) and the garden is looking good.  It doesn't seem to matter how much water one pours onto the plants,  rain is just so much better.  I picked a cabbage.....

 ... with just a few "catterpillar bites" and it should be good for dinner.

The first cauliflower is growing fast also....
 ... the clothes peg is to keep the white part sheltered from the sun... to prevent it becoming yellow.  The sun has yet to make an appearance today,  but you never know.

Broccoli....
 .... sprinkled with rain!

The whole yard is looking greener by the day....
 .... and the pathways are covered with weeds....
 I hope that the mower will fit along most of the tracks so that I can trim the weeds on the next sunny day.

Meanwhile the first of the broad beans are out of the ground....
... I planted them a little later than usual this year because the soil was so dry and the weather so hot until the end of April and beyond.   They are just beginning to emerge now.
I have also planted some special ones that a friend ahs given me.  Those are in a different part of the garden,  and should be pushed along by this rain.  I will keep and eye out for them.

No comments: