Wednesday, 19 June 2013

Frost

Frost... it had to happen this week.  The weather is predicted to remain much the same for at least a week.  (Still not much rain though.)

Last night, as I went out to the woodpile for an armful (a yaffle, for the Newfies out there) to fill the heater before I went to bed, the moon was half,  the stars were bright and I knew it would be a frosty morning.   The fog has only now (at 9am) begun to form.

It isn't a heavy frost,  no doubt those will come later in the week,  but the potatoes are looking a little worse for wear...
 ... this is the very same plant that I photographed yesterday...  it will be interesting to see how it fares by the end of this week.

The frost was all over the mulch and the plants,  but the older (tougher?) potato plants behind don't seem to be as badly stung....

 The tiny crystals are lovely to see up close.....
 ... and these are just beauti.ful...

Some plants don't seem to be troubled by the cold.....  broad beans....
 and the first jonquil flower has opened overnight....

The snowpea flowers also....
....  the garden is lovely this morning.

I can well imagine some of my Canadian friends laughing at my "frost" and during my time there, in the '70's and '80's,  I would have too.... how one's views of the world can change!

No comments: