Saturday, 8 June 2013

Sweet potatoes

I have always grown the "ordinary" potatoes.... various kinds of those...  but this year I tried sweet potatoes as well.  I grew them in a  barrel, and the plants were spectacular, they were still growing,   but beginning to look a little the worse for wear.... something was eating the leaves.  they seem to be a favourite of some kinds of loopers.  Anyway, today I decided to pull them up and see whether there were any tubers under there....  and there were...
 ... these are not all of them,  but these are the best ones.  Some of them are long and skinny like carrots, and there are obviously quite a few that would have grown larger if I'd left them.
It has been a successful experiment though.  The plants grew very well in the half barrel....
 .... this photograph was taken quite a few months ago, from memory.  I will try some more in the barrel again after the winter,  though in truth,  the vines seem to be very hardy.  I will plant them in a variety of places from now on,  to see how they go.

The rest of the garden has grown well too.  I hadn't collected the eggs yesterday as I was away for most of the day,   and so there are plenty...
.... the rest includes an assortment of herbs, broccoli, garlic leaves and some jalapenos.... with sweet potatoes,  dinner should be good!

1 comment:

Dave Riley said...

I grow em here i n Qld but my soil is still abit too snady for big tubers. I use them as ground cover.

Great that you can get crops like this so far south.

They are the only spud I eat. Awesome chipped and baked in a very hot oven...like now -- as I write.