Wednesday, 10 July 2013

Frost again, frozen birdbath but the garden is still producing...

The temperature was low again overnight...  the birdbath was frozen....
 ... and there was frost on the potatoes (they have survived again though)....
 ... and the parsley......
 though no rain to measure.

It was good timing that I had put a tent over the remaining eggplant plants yesterday....  (those are cabbage plants in the foreground... and an assortment of other brassicas near the "tent".
 ... they are protected from the worst of the frost and appear to have survived well overnight...
 These "tents" are made from the same lace table cloths (from the second hand shop several years ago) that I use as shade in the summer.  I keep thinking that they will not last,  but as winter frost protectors they remain useful, all year round protection. Years ago in Canada,  I wrapped rose bushes in hessian (burlap)  for the winter and that has given me the idea for this tent during the winter. The egglants should be just that much further advanced this summer and perhaps producing early... as soon as the weather warms up.

Production continues...  cauliflowers are growing fast.... about half a dozen of them, I think...
 ...excuse the "gardener's finger nails" holding the leaves back.

Cabbages..... sugar loaf....
 ...snow peas... beautiful in the sun....


... and I am still picking a few peppers.  That late heat has prolongued the season for some things....
 and Jalapenos....
 ... this is the jalapeno plant that is now about 5 years old and still going strong...  it must be in the right place and well enough protected from the cold weather.

The broad bean plants are not flowering yet,  but these tips are good to eat as well... and as the plants recover from my raids, they are lower, bushier and produce more beans with less risk of wind damage....

The perfume from these flowers is amazing....  I didn't notice them until I tracked down the scent...
... the flowers are so tiny that they are easily overlooked.  They are parsley flowers... still going... and attract my attention with their perfume...  I suppose that works just as well for pollinators too.

No comments: