Sunday, 21 July 2013

Winter garlic?

I went to the market this morning.  I needed a few items that I can't grow... and some fish.  Once again, someone had garlic that they assured me was grown locally.  I didn't buy any.  It is probably from Mexico.  I saved enough garlic to get me through the winter, but most of it is sprouting by now.... even as it is still attached to the plait that I made...
 .... the taste is fairly similar even when it does start to grow,  and local garlic should be trying to grow by now.  Each bulb that I use now is separated and sprouting cloves planted....
 These will produce some new bulbs or at least garlic leaves which are also good to eat.  Garlic is a seasonal product, in the same way as many herbs, vegetables and fruits,   Currently, fresh local garlic has sprouting leaves.
I have quite a few garlic plants growing...

... the leaves are tasty as well as the bulbs,  but it is a "trade-off" as less leaf material will lead to smaller bulbs.  There are also a few self-sown lettuce plants among the garlics.

The cauliflowers are still producing and this year they are lovely.  They don't produce "side shoots" in the way that broccoli plants do but it is always worth planting some... the fresh ones are so sweet to eat.

Broad bean plants are lovely now....
 ....  no flowers yet,   but the leafy tips are good for stir frying in the same way as other "greens".

It is coriander season again...  coriander can be grown all year round,  though the longer days in summer cause it to "go to seed" very quickly.  The solution, of course is to keep planting regularly, but at this time of year,  coriander is just so easy to grow.

More cabbages on the way....
 ... and "second cuts" of broccoli....  just as good as the first...
 ... and the jalapenos are still producing... as always.  There aren't any new flowers now,  but hopefully there are enough fruits to last until the weather warms up and flowering begins again.  I usually add a few chopped up jalapenos to sauces, soups and pasta dishes.

Among the onions,   I found this marigold....
a winter flower!

No comments: