Friday, 30 August 2013

Baby broad beans.

This morning as I checked the garden for produce,  I found the first tiny broad bean for this season.  It is one of those exciting things that happen in the garden that on one but me really cares about,  but here it is...
 ... it is only tiny,  but once these plants begin to produce,  they keep going until the really hot weather comes.
The potato plants that have made it through the winter are looking healthy.  There were no frosts severe enough to do much damage at all (climate change?) and tne only ones that have not survived this year are those that I have raided earlier and those potatoes are all eaten already.
 These are of the kippfler variety...   I like them very much though they don't seem to produce as many potatoes as some other plants.


Last week I took this photograph of a cabbage plant that was beginning to flower....
 I am always amazed at the growth of cabbages.  As tiny plants,  the leaves seem to know how to curl around almost immediately and, of course, they go on to form lovely cabbages that I eat all winter.  The ones that I grow don't form the really hard "drum head" style heads,  but are jsut a little bit looser and easier to manage.  They are so much easier to make into cabbage rolls like these....
 ... and that has to be good.
These were filled with meat, leftover rice and herbs and cooked in a tomato flavoured stock.  They were very good.

But,  back to my cabbage plants.  The one that was beginning to flower last week is even more lovely today...
... the leaves inside are beginning to change shape,  though I can't see the flower yet.  I always let one of these cabbages "go to seed" just to watch the change in form, though these are not the cabbage seeds to keep, being the first to flower.  I wouldn't want a whole crop of early flowering cabbages that didn't give me the opportunity to eat them.  This is just one of those interesting plants to watch each year as the season changes.  More later....

The other plant that is flowering beautifully right now is the White sage that is a native of California where it flowers for Christmas,  apparently...
In California it is a "humming bird plant"  and, despite the lack of humming birds,  it is still a lovely plant to have by my bird bath.

No comments: