Sunday, 25 August 2013

Daily food collection... and bok choy production.

The weather has been wet in recent days.  Nights are still cold too... a bit too cold to plant the new "summer" crops.  I have planted a few seeds and transplanted some seedlings that are hardy enough to withstand cold nights in a couple of protected spots of my garden (micro-climates?)  and I am still picking plenty of vegetables from the garden more or less daily...
Today it was bok choy, cabbage, snow peas and coriander.   I didn't eat the eggs today.  I had some fish (Coorong mullet) that I had bought during the week.

When I have bought bok choy at the shop,  it appears to be the whole young plant.  These leaves are the second or third picking from these plants as they attempt to flower... much in the same way as other brassicas (like broccoli.)  The flavour is identical to the whole young plant, and the plants produce the "new" stalks within days,  even in cold weather...  more quickly than broccoli.   This means that one is able to gather more vegetables for the same amount of effort.  This wouldn't be useful for commercial production,  as the picking is slower and one needs to consider each plant carefully... is the shoot big enough to pick?  how much do I need to leave for the plant to survive?  and how much more water/goat poo do these plants need...  it's useful to know your plants well and look at them every day.

Once again,  I can't believe that ordinary people,  growing their own food, in past times would have killed a plant that could go on to produce so much more food for so little extra effort.  I don't believe that commercial production of food is as efficient as we are told.

As Michael Pollan says... eat food,  not too much,  mostly plants.

No comments: