Tuesday, 8 October 2013

"Spring break"

It has been more than 3 weeks since I have posted here.  I'm calling it a "spring break" because spring has most definitely sprung while I have been busy.
Family visit, dealing with a few issues that remain from a past life  and some significant re-organising of my house have all happened and all is well.
I have a new verandah area... still needing a little work....
 but usable (some visiting family.)
 The horse-shoe pitch has been un-earthed and the "great wall of Kapunda" built....

The cabbage flowers are beautiful, the broad beans are producing (I'm freezing some) and the broccoli plants that have fed me all winter are slowing down.  Current crops that are regular over the past week or two are peas, beans, beets, snow peas, potatoes, plenty of herbs and an assortment of "leafy greens".

There have been birds nests, more black birds, sparrows and starlings (all feral) than parrots or honeyeaters, though native birds seem to be successful also.  In particular, there has always been one lovely magpie-lark (Murray magpie, pee-wee) nest in one of the trees.  This year,  there are tell-tale mud nests in two trees, so these seem to be doing well. I have heard cuckoos (Horsefield's bronze cuckoos) though can't see them... yet!.... these are so elusive.   I have also seen a white-faced heron "fishing" in my pond.... this happened at the same time last year, and so I presume it has something to do with feeding baby herons.  I am breeding the heron food!
It is very timid, hard to photograph... this was taken through my dirty kitchen window and in spite of the rose geranium in the way!

While family were visiting,  a significant amount of extra work was achieved.  Jobs that would have taken me until Christmas have been completed and I feel rather lucky to have had such a happy and productive visit.  The labyrinth is "weeded"...
... and despite a pile of rubble that is associated with the verandah modifications,  it is back in "working order".   There is just a bit more to repair when the rubble is gone.

The terraceing of the next garden area is also completed....
... once again there are a few small patches to deal with, but the major work is done and I am left with just the easy bits!  The little cottage in the background is the "grannyflat" where my mother now lives.

The front of my house is finally symetrical... sort of,  the verandah is all usable and the guttering is all directed into the tanks.  The orange coloured paint remains from the previous paint job and should be re-done during this summer....
The pathways are all raked clear and the "large, chunky" pieces of firewood (those that will not fit into the kitchen stove) are stacked by the front door and nearer to the winter fireplace.

It's been a busy break with visits, garden make-over and spring planting,  but it's been fun too....
music on the new verandah (and a fire)...
 ... lots of music...
 ....
 ....
 ....  with a goat looking over the fence...
... for the goat yard is quite close to the new living area.




No comments: