Friday, 1 November 2013

Arisaema heterophyllum (Cobra lily)

I have mentioned the Cobra Lily previously.  I transplanted the whole plant to a "safe spot" in the garden and it has done very well.  It has amazing shaped leaves that have been quite spectacular this year.  In recent days though,  the leaves have appeared to shrivelled when compared with their usual quite "fleshy" appearance…  and then a bud appeared and grew rapidly.

Today the flower has opened….
 … the flower is about 53 cm (21 inches) long.   Quite beautiful.

The centre shows a striped tube….
….. an amazing sight.  I am so glad that I found this plant hiding in the "old part" of the garden.


Later:   It is mid morning and I went out to see how my flower was faring…. it is quite hot and dry today…. and I found a whole lot of little insects inside the flower….
… they climb up and fall back down into the "abyss" over and over again… amazing sight.

No comments: