Sunday, 29 June 2014

Winter food

We have passed the winter solstice,  and the weather is cold and wet.  This month we have had about 100 mm of rain and the need for watering the garden is gone.
This morning I went out to pick enough food for today….
… and this is what I found.  A leek and a young red onion,  four carrots, a beetroot with all of its leafy greens, four potatoes (missed when I dug another 8kg last week) and three small side shoots of broccoli.  I put some clothes pegs on the next few cauliflowers (to keep them white and sweet) and collected the eggs.
The weather is cold and so the garden grows much more slowly.  However,  the extra rain (and the consequent lack of watering needed) means that I can plant a much larger area and the patch that has been covered and protected from the baking sun during the summer is now being planted also.
The snow peas and broad beans are all growing well,  I'll be planting more onions and potatoes soon,  and my plan for planting something every week so that I can pick something every week seems to be working… so far, so good.
The clay soil, having absorbed so much rain….and with more to follow (prior to the el nino that is expected late in the year) has some advantages.  The clay seems to hold water very well,  and by the summer solstice I will have re-covered some large parts of it in order to save the worms and micro-organisms that make food production possible here.
Dinner tonight will be fresh, local and tasty.

No comments: