Sunday, 8 January 2017

Zucchinis and cucumbers in 2017

After the cool and unusually wet spring,  we had a very hot Christmas Day, and now with January here,  the heat is really on.  Growing food in winter can be relatively easy... I just plant the appropriate seedlings or seeds and they grow, sometimes slowly,  but with little effort on my part.  This is not so in summer.
The current heat wave, with temperatures above 40C is very hard on some of the smaller plants. This year I waited to see how things were going and then, planted quite a few things late... I resorted to buying seedlings from the nursery for some plants.  And that has been an adventure in itself.  One of the punnets that I bought had, supposedly six zucchini plants, each in their own little cell.  I soaked them in some dilute seasol (to give them the best chance to thrive) and then dug some gypsum into the soil and transplanted the little plants.   this was before Christmas,  and as the little plants got going,  some of them showed signs of powdery mildew (there was some rain during that couple of weeks.)
Anyway,  two of the plants looked quite free of the mildew.... noticeably different.  By now,  they are really quite different, and have turned out to be cucumber plants... so my punnet of zucchini plants had 4 of the expected variety, and 2 cucumber plants....
 
.... and four zucchini plants...
... in fact all of the plants seem healthy and I will have a few less zucchini and a few extra cucumbers.  2017 should be a good year.

2 comments:

Paul from South Oz said...

Wow Jane, that's what happened to me but in reverse, I planted a row of cucumbers under a trellis and knock me down, 4 are Zuchini and only 3 Cuckes.(a certain Gawler plant purveyor). Bit of a waste of the trellis now, can't plant a legume there as we only just pulled a top crop of broad beans in November.

Jane said...

I would still try some climbing beans.... they are pretty quick and easy and don't require much help. Don't waste a good trellis. I have planted some "too late" pumpkin seeds too (where the broad beans were) and it will be interesting to see what happens there. The season was so such a strange one that I'm giving some others "the benefit of the doubt". i don't always follow the rules.... sometimes it is ok.