Friday, 10 March 2017

Summer, corn and a long drive.

Once again,  life has got in the way of blogging.  It has been a busy patch with family celebrations, music rehearsals and carer duties, but the garden survives.
The summer has been unusual in Kapunda.  We have had an exceptional amount of rain,  later than usual hot days and, despite the news of a record hot summer in Australia,  Kapunda has had less VERY hot days (over 45C.... 113F.)  The garden continues to feed me.
This year I grew more corn than I have ever tried before and one of the varieties that I grew was not one of the usual hybrid varieties because I will try to save some seed to see how that goes next year.

The male flowers appeared early and looked beautiful....
 .... and then the female flowers.....  
 ... and finally the ripened corn cobs......
 ...... lovely.



This year the prickly pear fruits are much later than usual.  By this time last year I had been eating them for weeks and all of the fruit was ripened.  This year,  after the cool weather until Christmas,  it has taken longer to produce the fruits and for it all to turn red.  This is the first ripe fruit... today.


The family celebration involved my solo drive to Brisbane and back.  It was tiring,  but I am so glad that I made it. A total trip of more than 4000km.
A couple of photographs from my return journey....
I did have near misses with one kangaroo, an emu and a baby goat,  but no damage to any of us.


There has been so much news about out "gold plated electrical infrastructure" that has replaced much of the old poles and wires.  Here is an old pole left for the birds that had made such good use of it....


Arriving home safely was quite a relief.  I was pleased to see the "Kapunda" sign.

No comments: